Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reputation and Branding

Although the bank I work at may now have a very well known “name brand,” it is a good example for me to discuss because I am familiar with our goal image and the things we do to help enforce it. My bank has 10 branches all in the central Illinois area, with our main branch being located in Central Illinois. I will speak about my branch in particular, but the same ideas apply to all of our bank’s branches. We have to compete with other local banks as well as the larger banks in the area. One way that we compete with those banks is through the brand and the reputation that my bank tries to project.

I would say that our brand is a local bank that offers competitive banking services both for businesses and individuals. We work to develop our brand by maintaining the name “First Bank” and the same logo. I actually recently heard my manager and another employee discussing how there was an issue when the branch in Savoy, and then the branch in Champaign opened. The branch in Savoy opened with the name “First Bank of Savoy” and the branch in Champaign opened with the name “First Bank.” The issue my manager was discussing was that people were confused when the Champaign branch opened about whether or not it was the same bank, but by that point it was too late to rebrand the Savoy branch. We also offer the same products at all of our branches and try to embody the same idea of a personal customer service. As a teller, I am supposed to provide excellent service and be able to interact with customers well at the same time that I take care of the banking needs. We are often reminded that our customers need to have our full attention, and that we should never make them feel as if they are interrupting anything that we’re doing. We also focus on having conversation with customers when they come in.

I would say that our reputation is a bank that offers some of the amenities of a larger bank, but still maintains the personal feel of a small local bank. We are able to greet most of our customers by name when they walk in, and we are able to work with everyone personally to set up accounts and other services in ways that meet their specific needs. Even with that small-town feel, we still have a broader range of services such as a range of personal and business checking and savings accounts, and other services such as savings programs, mobile banking, gift cards, and many other things. Our loan department also offers many different personal and corporate loans. These services help us to appeal to customers who want all of those options, but still want to have the small bank feel and atmosphere. Some of the things we are known for that don’t relate directly to our banking services are the dog bones and candy we hand out, the coffee we offer to customers daily, and our popcorn Fridays.


It seems that the difference between branding and reputation is that branding is more so about what services the company provides, whereas a reputation is more about how people perceive the company. The relationship between the brand and the reputation could be that part of a businesses brand is its reputation. I think another way they relate is that a business will try to make its branding goals a part of their reputation. If, as a bank, we try to brand ourselves as a bank with a local feel but larger service offerings, we want our reputation to be that customers feel as if we offer those things that are a part of our brand. I think another main difference is that the company sets the brand, however the customers in a way have a say in determining the reputation, because the reputation is completely dependent on what outside people see and think about the company.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think that branding could also be in part how people see the company and reputation can be about the services and how they are provided? Is there a closer link between the two than is initially perceived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue of "small town feel" for banking is an interesting one. I have to say I didn't understand it until I applied for my first mortgage, which was in 1986 when I bought a condo. At that time I got the mortgage through Busey Bank. Until that time I used Fidelity (a big national company) for checking, credit card, and investments. The produced one (paper) statement with all these things integrated in and that was attractive. But for the mortgage I needed to go local. So I moved the checking to them too and the investments. I think they didn't do credit card then so I had another company for that - some less convenience.

    The thing is the bankers wanted to know me on a personal level. I had one-on-one meetings with the several VPs, including the head of investments, and I ended up playing a round of golf with several of them at Lincolnshire fields country club. They wanted to know I was an ok guy - though a pretty poor golfer. Also I was single then. The mortgage was locally held, unlike today, and they were very strict about eligibility. Even after that, they rather make a loan only to people they can trust.

    The credit market has changed a lot since then, but I'm still with Busey. The guy who does our mortgages was on the Board of Directors of the daycare with me and my wife. So as interest rates dropped in the last decade we saw him several times as we refinanced our home. I likewise have a personal relationship with the guy who handles my investments. I suspect it would be quite different for all of this if we lived in a major city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Baumol: I think they are very likely interconnected. I actually found it challenging to separate the two and come up with some exact differences because the ideas seem to be so interrelated.

    Professor: That sounds very familiar to the interactions with customers that are present at the bank where I work. I think that the 'feel' of the bank actually makes a difference to customers, especially since most banks offer very similar products and so the customer service is one of the few differentiating factors between them. I also agree that there is probably a larger demand for this type of environment in a bank here than there is in larger cities; I know that there is no type of personal relationship between my family members and the banks we use where I'm from in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete